This course is designed to be used as a corequisite solution or as a traditional College Algebra course with plenty of additional support for those students struggling with prerequisite skills. Each module begins with a “Review Topics for Success” section in which critical topics from the developmental algebra series are examined. Additionally, just-in-time review of developmental math concepts appear throughout the text to help those students who need further learning support. The course includes embedded algorithmically generated practice questions, worked-example videos, interactive pathway activities, and a complete set of outcome aligned online assessments through Lumen OHM.
This course was developed by Lumen Learning and Deborah Devlin of Frostburg State University in Maryland. Primary source materials for this course include the OpenStax textbooks, College Algebra and Precalculus by Jay Abramson, et al., Developmental Math an Open Program by Monterey Institute of Technology and Education, and mathispower4u.com tutorials by James Sousa.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science insights to engage students and better support the learning process. Content includes text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge and improve their understanding. Lumen’s online homework system, OHM, provides frequent practice, machine grading, and immediate feedback to help students learn and master math and other quantitative subjects.
College Algebra: Lumen Learning is available as an OHM course.
What People Are Saying
“OHM is fantastic for providing students with immediate feedback and remediation. It has helped my students improve their precision in answers.” – Royce Shelley, Salt Lake Community College
“Since using OHM, my students have a better understanding of the course topics.” – Bethzabeth Berrios, SUNY Rockland
“Since using OHM, I have achieved greater efficiency in giving feedback to students. OHM helps me to quickly let students know how well they are progressing through the course.” – Noel Whelchel, Atlanta Metropolitan State College
“Since using OHM, I have been able to hold students accountable for their homework. It is extremely comprehensive for the students and it saves me an immense amount of time.” – Mac Psachie, Hunter College CUNY
“OHM has greatly reduced the cost of an online homework program for our students.” – Jim Smart, Tallahassee Community College
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Waymaker’s real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.