In Financial Accounting, students learn the basic accounting principles, preparing them for a career in business or as the first course in their preparation to become an accountant. This course starts with a focus on small, sole-proprietorships providing a service, and gradually layers accounting practices from the most basic to the more complex accounting practices recommended for large companies. This course also includes an optional module focusing on “personal accounting,” which helps students bridge the gap between accounting for their personal finances and accounting for business.
Additional Course Features
- Online Homework Manager (OHM): A flexible, user-friendly math homework system with customizable learning content, assessments, and activities you can tailor to fit your needs. Request an OHM instructor account.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
- Joe Cooke, Santa Fe Community College
- Ann Weiss, South Puget Sound Community College
- Mike Zerrahn, Clinton Community College
- Cindy Moore, Ranger College
- Robert Danielson, Saint Mary’s College of California
- Aida Sy, Farmingdale State College, SUNY
- Debra Porter, Tidewater Community College
- Pamela Pirog, Housatonic Community College
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Waymaker’s real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.