“I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.” —Walt Whitman, 1855.
The authors of American Yawp begin their effort with a pertinent quote from Walt Whitman. This course takes an approach to history that fosters a method of critical thought and a rigorous questioning of the history of the United States. Key topics include the characteristics and legends of the New World, imperial European cultures and their clashes, British North America, colonial society, the American Revolution and the new nation, the early American Republic, the market revolution, the challenges of democracy in America, religion and political reform, the old south, the consequences of Manifest Destiny, sectionalism, the Civil War, and Reconstruction.
This course is based on the collaborative, open, online text entitled American Yawp, including the American Yawp Primary Source Reader. The course also includes ancillary material from OpenStax US History as well as videos, images, quizzes, and other enhancements from various sources. Assignments were contributed by Thomas deMayo and Chris Thomas from Reynolds Community College.
U.S. History I: American Yawp is available as a Candela course.
- Candela: Lumen Learning’s low-cost Candela courses provide curated and outcome-aligned open educational resources (OER) in a convenient e-book format.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Waymaker’s real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.